We extend a warm welcome to new families joining our program. We sincerely hope that your experience at our daycare will be positive and meaningful.
First Day Checklist
Please bring these items your child’s first day. Please label* all items.
- Completed forms and a void cheque for direct debit (see Forms section below)
- Diapers/wipes/diaper cream
- Tooth brush (with cover) and tooth paste
- Rain coat, rain pants (or a body suit, called muddy buddy)
- Gloves, winter hat, boots (Winter)
- Sun hat, sunscreen SPF 30 or higher (Summer)
- Bed sheet/warm blanket (stuffed animal, if necessary)
- Lunch kit with an ice pack inside
- Two changes of clothes (extra shirt, pants) to be kept at the centre, in case your child needs to be changed
- Water bottle
- Family photos (1), child’s face photos: medium size (3), small size (1)
- Earthquake kit
- Small toy or book
- A photo of the family or letter
- Unopened bottle of water (500 ml)
- Medication for your child (if necessary)
- Diapers and wipes
- Emergency foods (crackers, granola bars, dry cereals, etc.)
- Extra clothes and shoes (including a warm sweater or jacket)
- Please bring the above items in a small backpack so it can be carried by your child in case we need to evacuate the building
*For parents interested in ordering personalized labels for their child, find out how you can support the daycare through fundraising.
- Parent Agreement
- Childcare Registration Form
- Emergency Consent Form
- Immunization Form
- Child Release Form
- Personal Alternates Form
- Pre-Authorized Debit Form
- Photo Consent Form
Starting at the Centre is an important event in your child’s life. For some children, this will be their first large group experience. For children who have been in a daycare before, a new situation can still be a significant change. This approach maximizes your child’s chances of a positive experience in a group environment. It is mandatory that you allow time in your schedule for this procedure, as we will follow the gradual entry according to the description below.
The child arrives between 9:00 and 9:30 am. Parents stay for 20 minutes or longer, if necessary, then they say goodbye and leave the child at the daycare until 11:00 am. Parents should be available by phone in case staff needs to contact them.
Arrive between 9:00 and 9:30 am. Family member(s) leave when child is settled, and come(s) back for pick-up by 11:30 am, during outside play.
Arrive between 9:00 and 9:30 am. Family member(s) leave when child is settled, and come(s) back for pick-up by 12:00 pm, which is after lunch.
Arrive between 9:00 and 9:30 am. Child stays for their nap and is picked up at 3:00 pm, after nap time.
Child stays for most of a regular day: 9:00/ 9:30 am to 4:00 pm. After the 5th day, if your child responds well to all the changes, 15 minutes can be added per day (6th day – 4:15pm; 7th day – 4:30pm and so on), until 5:00pm, if that is your desired pick-up time.
PLEASE NOTE: A family member must be available for pick-up at any time during the gradual entry. The goal of gradual entry is to allow children to develop a sense of security and trust with the Centre staff and should be a positive experience for them. We require your collaboration in order to ensure that this process is successful and welcomed by your child. We kindly ask you to say a quick goodbye to your child when leaving the Centre and to explain to them that you will come back later. Staff will be discussing if any changes to the gradual entry are required based on your child’s individual needs.
© 2018 West Point Grey Daycare Society